Huskers fall in ninth of Sunday’s marathon

Nebraska suffered a 5-4 bottom-of-the-ninth loss to Illinois in Sunday’s series finale, which featured two weather delays that combined for four hours and 53 minutes.

The first delay lasted 95 minutes late in the third, before a long delay of three hours and 18 minutes between the eighth and ninth innings.

Nebraska (20-29, 8-13 Big Ten) had four runs on six hits and two errors, while Illinois (28-20, 14-7 Big Ten) had five runs on 10 hits and a mistake.

Jackson Brockett pitched the first two innings until the game’s first delay. Brockett returned a hit and walked two Illini batters. Koty Frank pitched the next four innings, allowing three runs on five hits and seven strikeouts. Braxton–Bragg, Chandler Benson and Hood CJ teams up to pitch the next two innings. Corbin Hawks suffered defeat, falling to 0-2 on the season after allowing the unearned winning run.

Colby Gomes was 2 for 4 at the plate with a home run, four RBIs and a run scored. Garrett Anglim re-enacted a two-hit game with a 2-on-4 performance, while Griffon Everitt and Max Anderson each had a shot.

The Husker offense took a four-run lead with four runs on three hits in the top of the third inning. Griffon Everitt and Max Anderson achieved on consecutive two-out singles, while Leighton Banjoff drew a walk to load the bases. Gomes drilled a Grand Slam from 438 feet down the center to push the Huskers ahead 4-0.

Brockett hovered over the first batter late in the third, before the game was suspended for a 95-minute weather delay. After the game resumed, Frank got a strikeout and a double play to keep the Illini off the board and hold the Big Red lead 4-0.

A pair of sixth-position singles for Illinois scored the Illini’s first inning of the game, cutting Nebraska’s lead to 4-1.

The Illini opened late in the seventh with a double and a single to place two runners with no outs. A sacrificial volley of a center out, followed by an RBI single to the left side made it a one-run game after seven innings.

A walk and pitch error on a double play attempt on Illinois’ sacrificial bunt in the bottom of the eighth moved the tying run to second with one out for the Illini. An RBI single in the middle on the next at-bat scored the unearned run in second to tie the game at four.

With the game tied at four after eight innings, the teams were ejected from the field for a weather delay, which ultimately lasted three hours and 18 minutes.

Nebraska was retired in order in the ninth, before Illinois took the win in the bottom of the ninth. Hawkins struck out the first two batters, while a two-out single to left put the tying run first. Justin Janas dropped a single in front Tyler Palm Tree on the left, who missed the attempt to field the ball, allowing the unearned run to score from first to win the game.

Comments are closed.