The Boston Red Sox put Trevor Story in IL 10 days with a bruised right hand

NEW YORK — Boston Red Sox second baseman Trevor Story was placed on the 10-day disabled list on Saturday with a right hand contusion.

Story was hit in the hand as he swung on a pitch from Tampa Bay’s Corey Kluber during Tuesday’s game. His stint in IL is retroactive to Thursday and he can return on July 23 against Toronto for Boston’s second game after the All-Star break.

Wide receiver Connor Wong was called up from Triple-A Worcester to take Story’s place before a game at Yankee Stadium.

Story said Saturday afternoon his hand was improving, and manager Alex Cora said Story planned to test his hand by batting practice about 90 minutes before the first pitch against the AL-leading Yankees. East.

Boston announced that Story was going to the IL about an hour later. He was not in the original starting lineup, although there had been hope that he would play on Sunday.

Story, 29, is in the first season of a six-year, $140 million contract with the Red Sox. The former Rockies slugger is hitting .221 with 15 home runs, 58 RBIs and a .713 OPS after leaving hitter-friendly Coors Field. Both batting average and OPS would be career lows, but his defense at second base was highly praised after switching positions in deference to Boston shortstop Xander Bogaerts.

Comments are closed.