USC Baseball hosts Arizona, heads to Long Beach State
Baseball | May 05, 2022
THIS WEEK: The USC baseball team hosts Arizona for a three-game series starting Friday, then heads to Long Beach State for a non-conference game on Wednesday.
Friday – USC vs Arizona (Dedeaux Field), May 6, 7 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
Saturday – USC vs Arizona (Dedeaux Field), May 7, 2 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
Sunday – USC vs Arizona (Dedeaux Field), May 8, 2 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
Wednesday – USC at Long Beach St. (Long Beach, CA), May 11, 6 p.m. (ESPN+)
LIKELY LAUNCH MATCHUPS
Friday – USC: RHP Jaden Agassi (2-1, 4.34 ERA) v UA: RHP TJ Nichols (5-2, 4.41 ERA)
Saturday – USC: RHP Tyler Stromsborg (1-5, 4.45 ERA) v UA: LHP Garrett Irvin (4-3, 2.94 ERA)
Sunday – USC: RHP Charlie Hurley (5-1, 2.58 ERA) v UA: RHP Anthony Susac (4-1, 7.30 ERA)
BROADCAST INFORMATION: All three home games this week will be televised live on the Pac-12 Network. Wednesday’s game will be broadcast live on ESPN+. Links to all shows are available on the baseball schedules page on USCTrojans.com.
TO FOLLOW: Fans can also follow the action with live stats at USCTrojans.com. Live in-game updates will also be available for all @USC_Baseball games on Twitter.
GET SOCIAL: Follow USC Baseball on social media to get updates on everything happening with the team this season. Trojans can be found at @USC_Baseball on Twitter, @sctrojans_baseball on Instagram, and USC Trojans Baseball on Facebook.
LAST WEEK: The Trojans won the opener at Washington State last weekend before dropping the final two games of the series. USC bounced back with a 6-0 win over CSUN at home on Tuesday.
VS-SERIES. AU: The Trojans lead the all-time series 125-112-1. The teams played in Tucson last season, with Arizona winning all three. The Trojans are looking to end a six-game losing streak against the Wildcats.
VS-SERIES. LBSU: The Trojans lead the all-time series 85-48. The teams last played in 2019, with USC winning both games. The Trojans have won 7 of the last 9 in the series.
- The Trojans have made 34 double plays this season, averaging 0.83 per game, which is 4th in the Pac-12.
- USC’s 52 home run is 4th in the Pac-12.
- The Trojans are 2nd in the Pac-12 and 45th in the NCAA with 22 flies sacrificed.
- The Trojan pitchers allowed 3.67 goals/9, the 3rd best mark in the Pac-12.
- The Trojans have 4 players who have recorded a stoppage this season; Matt Keating (7), Garett Clarke, Carson Lambert, Nate Clow.
NOTES FOR PLAYERS:
- Rhylan Thomas has been on a tear over the past month. He enters the weekend on a 13-game hitting streak, recording multiple hits in all but 2 games during the streak. In his last 13 games, he had 29 hits and ranked 3rd in the Pac-12 with a .362 batting average. Thomas is also the 2nd hardest player in the Pac-12 to hit, stoking just once every 12.7 at bat. Thomas leads USC with 22 multi-hit games (including a 5-hit game against CSUN) and his 1.50 hits/game is 4th in the Pac-12.
- Tyresse Turner has the second best batting average in the team and 9th best in the conference at .350. His 14 stolen bases are 5th in the Pac-12. Turner has hit safely in his last 5 games. His 14 doubles place him 11th in the championship.
- Charlie HurleyThe 2.58 ERA is 3rd best in the Pac-12 and his 5 wins are 6th in the conference. Hurley allowed 7.43 hits/9, 7th-fewest in the league. He had a career-high 7K in his last outing against Washington State.
- Tyler Lozano leads the team with 10 HR this year. His 0.26 FC/game is the 6th best average in the conference. Lozano tied a USC record with 3 homers in Game 1 against ASU, becoming the first player since Ricky Oropesa in 2010 to accomplish the feat.
- Tyler StromsborgThe 11 starts are a team high and the 2nd most in the Pac-12. He’s pitched at least 5 innings in all but 4 of his starts so far this season.
- Carson LambertThe 1.06 WHIP is 4th best in the conference and its 1.87 walks/9 is 5th in the Pac-12. He’s tied for the team lead with 21 relief appearances this season and his 5.33 strikeout ratio is 5th in the league. Lambert’s 3.53 ERA is 9th in the Pac-12 among qualified pitchers.
- Matt Keating leads USC and is 3rd in the Pac-12 with 7 saves this year. He is tied for the team lead with 21 relief appearances.